Definitions according to food law & the principles for spices
Herbs and spices are parts of plants which, because of their content of natural ingredients, are intended as flavoring and odor-giving ingredients for food.
Herbs are fresh or dried leaves, flowers, sprouts or parts of them.
General information on use : In general, short-term storage is recommended.
Store herbs washed in the refrigerator:
- wrapped in a damp cloth
- washed in a glass of water
- or in a plastic bag
Meaning of herbs and spices:
- they offer a variety of flavors
- They stimulate the appetite through essential oils and colorings
- they promote the production of digestive juices
- they give the food an attractive appearance
- They have a health-promoting effect, especially due to the secondary phytonutrients they contain
- they have a cultural meaning
- A special quality awareness for your cooked food is generated
- Select suitable spices and herbs and dose appropriately
- the taste of the food should be emphasized, but not masked
- always choose one main spice, do not use too many different herbs / spices
- Boil the dried herbs 1 x and then let them steep for approx. 15 minutes
- Add fresh food to the food shortly before serving
- Cold has a dulling effect on the aromatic power of herbs and spices.
Therefore, if possible, season dishes to the consumption temperature (exception: brawns)
- When freezing food, some herbs and spices change their flavor.
The following condiments lose their aroma: savory, nutmeg, pepper, marjoram, paprika, mustard, aniseed
The following condiments enhance their aroma:
Basil, sage, thyme, dill, tarragon. All other herbs and spices remain unchanged.
The following condiments develop their taste only after longer cooking
Classification according to taste
Herbs with a leek flavor
Spices with a sour aroma
Herbs with a peppery aroma
Herbs with a cucumber-like aroma
Cress flavored spices
The contents of the respective herbs and spices on this page were mainly created within the training to become a dietician (diet school at Marienhospital Stuttgart) as part of a joint work of the individual class members on a joint annual work (graduation year 2012). Department of nutritional advice.